Senior Mechanical Engineer, Compaction Scrum
Generate, evaluate, analyze, and develop mechanical design concepts for systems, components and assemblies, according to internal and external design and manufacturing standards, to achieve new and current road machinery product requirements and improvements.
Translate customer needs into engineering specifications, synthesize designs that meet the specifications, resolve issues related to the development and document the results
Plans, releases, and coordinates implementation of product releases and engineering change notices. Ensures the correct processes, tooling and equipment are available to manufacture related parts in house or at a specified supplier in a safe, quality and cost effective manner.
- Initiate and develop design concepts according to Volvo Standards, guidelines and procedures to meet quality and cost objectives, schedule, machine parameters and criteria by use of layouts and installation drawings.
- Base decisions on fundamental engineering principles, understand how principles apply to a problem and understand assumptions involved accounting for risk added.
- Perform layout, design and create drawings via solid modeling, using Division CAD system.
- Develop and perform complex stress/system calculations using CAE (such as FEA) and also suggest design improvements and cost reductions across the entire product line
- Sound knowledge of kinematics principles for calculating pin joint loads and bearing loads for various load cases using MathCad or MSExcel
- Weldments design: understanding of weld joint design, basic assessment of weldability, control of residual stress and deformation, fatigue in weldments, and applicable Quality Control methods
- Bolted joint design: Understanding of bolted joint load calculations and global guidelines
- Knowledge of operator enclosure and environment design principles
- Recommend and develop testing requirements when appropriate to help improve confidence in design solutions, assist in failed component analysis and recommendation of solution.
- Design for Manufacturability: understanding of manufacturing processes like casting, forging, machining, gear cutting, tooling.
- Knowledge of commonly available metallic and non-metallic raw materials, their heat treatment and coatings
- Should have a thorough understanding of the Engineering impact and a basic understanding of the impact of other functions on the business.
- Interface with suppliers to locate and approve components.
- Fluent in use of production control business system and personal computer programs such as Access, Excel, Word, Power Point, etc. Suggest improvements in any engineering processes.
- Support/mentor other engineers/drafters/designers by providing training on time saving design techniques, checking drawings for tolerance / accuracy, evaluating design concepts and assisting in analysis
- Demonstrate technical and written skills via generating and filing reports of design analyses for future reference and demonstrate interpersonal skills via preparing and presenting seminars.
- Must be able to provide insight and sound advice about the product.
- Follow SCRUM/Agile product development methodology
- Drive for results
- Priority setting
- Customer focus
- Interpersonal savvy
- Customer and Application Understanding
- Product and Offer Understanding
- Competitive Intelligence
- CAD Skills
- Systems Engineering
- Project Management
- Quality Tools & Systematic problem solving methods
- Virtual Development and Simulation
- Methods for Validation and Verification
Required knowledge & experience:
Education/Professional Qualifications required for the position:
- Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering with 8 - 10 years of experience in Product development of structural parts in construction equipment industry. Masters desirable.
- 5 years of road product related experience
- Knowledge of Stage Gate Product Development Process
- Good cross functional coordination capability
- Sound knowledge of customer application requirements
- Sound knowledge of major machine functions and systems.
- Sound technical knowledge of end product and sub-systems.
- Business driven mindset and holistic approach. Ability to identify and deliver solutions securing profitability from an overall enterprise perspective.
- Proficient in written and spoken English is required
Additional Important Requirements:
- Strong design engineering skills
- Good knowledge of PC (Excel, Ms Word, Power Point, etc.)
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, the ability to create bridges for information exchange between functions and between locations.
- Creativity and innovative thinking
- Good Presentation and interpersonal skills
- Cross cultural experience
- Must be able to sit at a desk or stand at an assigned location and work continuously for extended periods of time, utilizing assigned office equipment. Must be able to walk through the production facility to work with manufacturing personnel. Must be able to operate and test machines or components. At times may lift materials weighing up to10kg.